Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for you deck builders

On Tue, 12 May 2015 07:45:55 -0700 (PDT), "Gramps' shop"
wrote:

I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

Larry

I wouldn'r even think about it twice. Free standing, all the way.
Even the front porch on my house is built free-standing - no ledger
board attached to the house. Same for my 12X12 rear deck.