Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Question for you deck builders

On 5/12/2015 11:39 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Gramps' shop wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build
a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is
framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

If in doubt - just build it free standing.

That would be my choice. When I think of "cabin", I think of something
in the woods or other remote place. Maybe severe winter weather. I
think that a large deck on a manufactured home could be stressed by
movement, weather, mudslides, earthquakes, tsunami, tornadoes and even
the occasional rainbow. I'd opt to not have it attached, but well
supported.