Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Question for you deck builders

On 5/12/15 9:45 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build
a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is
framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

Larry

Well, you *could* attach the ledger to that "knee wall" and it might
hold up for decades, but you're taking a big chance.

Is there a foundation under that slab, directly beneath that skirting,
or is the home being supported somewhere else, like a trailer frame? If
there are footings under that slab that act as the foundation of this
home, then you're good.

If the slab is just a 4" floater, then it could easily crack and fail from
the weight of the deck, depending on how large it is. I would recommend
a separate deck foundation-- post and beam. Set the piers 2 to 3 feet
away from the home and cantilever the deck joists towards the home,
leaving a decent gap for water to pass between the decking and the home
without getting trapped.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)