Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question for you deck builders

Gramps' shop wrote:
I think I mentioned earlier that my son has drafted me to help build
a fairly large deck at his cabin. The cabin is a manufactured home
elevated about two feet over a concrete slab. There is skirting
running around the perimeter of the structure. The skirting is
framed in 2x4s with verticle studs 16 inches on center.

So ... here's the question: can we attach the ledger board to the
skirting framework? Or is a better approach a free-standing deck?

Thanks,

That all depends on how the skirting studs are attached to the cabin. I see
that it's framed with 2x4's but how is that framing united with the
structure? How is it anchored to the slab? Those are at least some of the
questions that will lead you to deciding if the framing is sufficient to
hang a deck off of. 2x4's at 2' long are probably strong enough to handle a
ledger board, but it all depends on how they anchor at the bottom and at the
top.

If in doubt - just build it free standing.

--

-Mike-