Posted to rec.woodworking
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On 5/10/2015 1:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2015 at 7:54:03 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 04:26:39 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

BTW...What's the deal with the "flashlight on the pole" set-up? That seems like a lot of work just to get a flashlight to point where you want to. A direct replacement for this, it's not. ;-)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...643b01_400.jpg

Not, it is better in the right circumstances. Chances are you'd not
have the kit in the trunk, but did you ever change a tire in the dark
on a country road with no one to hold a flashlight? Where would you
plug in your lights?

How about a camping trip? On a boat?

Perhaps you missed my point. Each of the attachments can be mounted on the "base" so it can imitate a stationary tool: A drill press, a scroll saw, a table saw and yes, a work light on a pole.

At 0:48 he attaches the flashlight to the battery, stands it up on the workbench and alters the angle to show it's versatility.

At 4:48 he attaches the flashlight to the pole on the kit and alters the angle to show it's versatility. (Sound familiar?)

Even if I *did* have the kit with me when I got a flat tire or was camping or was on my boat, why would I attach the flashlight head to the pole on the kit? Why wouldn't I just use the flashlight head and battery pack? It would certainly be much more convenient to carry the smaller combination to the trunk to find the tools or to find the bathroom while camping than to carry the whole kit.

At 2:40 of this video, the lady uses the "portable light table" to illuminate her plumbing job. Why would she use the table when she could simply stand the flashlight up and accomplish the same task and with much more portability?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPvUn1bswxU

I suppose that maybe, just maybe, if I had the kit already set up for some other purpose and suddenly needed a pole mounted work light for some down lighting on the table itself, I might attach the flashlight head to the pole. Other than that, I just don't see a situation where that particular feature is useful.

LOL...I love those ads/infomercials that exaggerate the problems to
which their product will solve.