Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

I don't think that was meant to be a hard use industrial grade tool. But you know, with the right warranty on that setup I could sure see it as being handy. Go do the punch out list on your latest job? Everything in the bag.

And even better, speaking as a guy that has had his work truck broken into 8 times, I like the idea of being able to put that many tools in the trunk of a car or in the half cab of the truck with a blanket over the box to hide the tools.

I thought it was clever to have it all in one including your driver bits and drill bits. Like the idea of being in a house under the cabinets and having a light I could keep off the counters or on the floor that I could direct to a work/repair area.

I have found that I don't seem to use my tools nearly as hard as the weekend or "serious woodworker" guys do so that set looked pretty handy. I could see using the table saw option to cut long shims, rip trim, and make fillers. I could see the drill press used to set a Euro hinge or two (not production) on a replacement door. I while I had the case open to get out the drill, it would be pretty neat to get out the light and mount it next to a door lock that had hard to fit parts. I thought the jig saw would be great to set a a new or replacement cabinet in a bathroom that had to have pipes marked and cut out of the back of a cabinet. For a medium duty work day, that set should fill the bill for someone, especially a professional that knew how far he could push tools like that.

Mostly, I like it because you have all that stuff in one place and can simply take it in the house or garage when you return from a job, or if traveling and working, take all your major tools into your hotel room in one medium sized tote.

Not sure I would obsess about the flashlight... didn't understand that.

Robert