Posted to rec.woodworking
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On 5/10/2015 6:26 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

I'm not saying I was right (yes I am) but that is often the fate of tools that try to be all things to all people. Using one battery for a multitude of tools is one thing, trying to be a battery operated Shopsmith is very different.

BTW...What's the deal with the "flashlight on the pole" set-up? That seems like a lot of work just to get a flashlight to point where you want to. A direct replacement for this, it's not. ;-)

That's the problem with so multi-purpose "whatevers"... They are so
impressed with their ability to be all things to all men they get just
plain silly.

Just imagine selling SWMBO on the Power8 for your home: "Look dear, if
I just put this 1½" spade bit in the drill, mount it in its drill press
configuration, you can take a short cup or glass and use it as a
stationary mixer!"

or

"If I just heat up the end of this sabre saw blade, bend it over at 90
degrees and use it in the sabre saw, look what a great muddler it
becomes for those Old Fashioneds that you love to drink. Really mashes
the fruit well, doesn't it?"

Still, as others have pointed out, the "shop in a box" concept will be
just the thing for some. Say, the apartment/condo dweller who's not
totally clueless and wants to do some minor jobs.