Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default woodburners tell all

I use a single Razertip that I got off eBay, used. Love and prefer it
to any other I have tried. I particularly like RT pens and layout of
the burners. Their warranty and support is the best.

it is pricey will have to look for a real good price though
Electric Comet

Yes the are pricey. I got lucky and bought mine off eBay. It was from
an estate sale. Said it was used but I found nothing to indicate that
when it arrived. I got the single burner unit, 4 pens, 2 wires and a
tip cleaner, all for $120 including shipping.Some peeps don't like
eBay but I can say I have gotten some great things off eBay with a
little patience.

I also have a brand new Colwood Cub with two new pens sitting in my
drawer. Colwood makes good units and pens and their warranty and
service is good. Their pens are decent but I don't care for their pens

i have looked at them
Electric Comet

I tried and liked an Optima but since I got the RT at such a great
price, it was a no-brainer. Decent warranty, meh service. Once caveat
is their boxes are plastic, so careful where you put your hot pen.

don't think i know the optimas
Electric Comet

I usually find them for sale at shows but they are sold online and
often on eBay.

I don't like Detailmaster. Any burners with metal pens are silly imo.

they are out of business and the website that was posted earlier is a
scam/fishing website taking orders and charging credit cards but
shipping nothing
Electric Comet

I didn't realize they went out of business. We have a dedicated duck
carver in our carving guild who has one. His backup/portable is a
Colwood Cub.

If you are burning part-time or low usage, I'd recommend the Colwood
Cub. For more serious burning, the RT, hands-down.

good info to have
Electric Comet

If you want a soldier like burner, check out the Walnut Hollow Versa
Tool, the one with the interchangeable tips and temp control. Great
little burner for $25-$30 dollars.

this one i have not heard of but need to check that
Electric Comet

You can find these on Amazon or in Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Most
hobby type stores carry some of Walnut Hollow's products.

A couple good info sites on the web that might interest you...

http://www.sawdustconnection.com/Pyr...omparisons.htm
http://www.woodburning.com/aboutwoodburners.asp

Good luck!