Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Drill attachment in place of chuck?

On 2015-05-02, John McCoy wrote:
John Doe wrote in news:mi1uoe$iu4$1@dont-
email.me:

Are there any common drill attachments that go in place of the chuck?

So that when the chuck is removed, the attachment can be screwed on in
place of the chuck.

That's a good question. I can't think of anything that would
be screwed onto a drill in place of the chuck, other than
another chuck.

Well ... I have somewhere (or had somewhere) a device which fits
between the threaded chuck on a hand-held electric drill (called a
"drill motor") and the drill motor itself. It is a shaft, threaded male
on one end and female on the other, and it slides into a plastic housing
which tapers so you can grip it closer to the drill motor and the drill
bit can be retracted back into the housing. Its purpose is to use when
drilling overhead (ceiling, etc), where the six "feet" of the housing
hold the drill aproximately square to the surface, and it catches the
drillings to keep them from falling into your eyes.

I think that I used it once. :-)

And -- of course -- it only fit some of the drill motors which I
had. :-)

I could perhaps picture some kind of tapping head which would
replace the chuck, and which would have an extension to keep the body
from rotating relative to the drill motor. (Similar things, with Morse
taper adaptors, fit my drill press. The ones which I have are made by
TapMatic -- but I have never seen one with a thread to fit a drill
motor.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--