Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default woodburners tell all

was looking at some wood burning tools that are meant for that purpose
and no ohter

but they are expensive

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

if you use a real one what do you think of it

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just
make some finer pointed bits myself
Electric Comet

I use a single Razertip that I got off eBay, used. Love and prefer it
to any other I have tried. I particularly like RT pens and layout of
the burners. Their warranty and support is the best.

I also have a brand new Colwood Cub with two new pens sitting in my
drawer. Colwood makes good units and pens and their warranty and
service is good. Their pens are decent but I don't care for their pens
near as much as RazerTip.

I tried and liked an Optima but since I got the RT at such a great
price, it was a no-brainer. Decent warranty, meh service. Once caveat
is their boxes are plastic, so careful where you put your hot pen.

I don't like Detailmaster. Any burners with metal pens are silly imo.

If you are burning part-time or low usage, I'd recommend the Colwood
Cub. For more serious burning, the RT, hands-down.

If you want a soldier like burner, check out the Walnut Hollow Versa
Tool, the one with the interchangeable tips and temp control. Great
little burner for $25-$30 dollars.

`Casper