Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Resawing on the band saw

On Tue, 05 May 2015 16:04:07 -0500, Leon wrote:

tried a few different blades including the 1/2" Woodslicer blade. I'm
currently using a 3/8" wet-wood blade for resawing logs.

Probably way way to narrow of a blade. The more the blade twists the
more it will go off track of a straight line. Logs tend to be
inconstant with moisture content, dryer in some spots and wetter in
others. This can cause the blade to want to wander. A wider blade is
less likely. If I resaw 6" or more I go with at least a 1" blade.

But a 14" saw won't take a 1" blade (1/8" to 3/4" according to Grizzly).
And from what I've read, even a 3/4" blade can bend the frame of a 14"
bandsaw. A riser makes the problem worse.

I used to cut a lot of green wood for turning. I wound up spraying Dri-
Cote on the blade to minimize the sap buildup. That helped some.