Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Resawing on the band saw

On 5/5/2015 9:40 AM, HerHusband wrote:
I have a Grizzly G0555 band saw. I bought the tall resaw fence and have
tried a few different blades including the 1/2" Woodslicer blade. I'm
currently using a 3/8" wet-wood blade for resawing logs.

Probably way way to narrow of a blade. The more the blade twists the
more it will go off track of a straight line. Logs tend to be
inconstant with moisture content, dryer in some spots and wetter in
others. This can cause the blade to want to wander. A wider blade is
less likely. If I resaw 6" or more I go with at least a 1" blade.

I installed new polyurethane tires, got the saw as coplaner as possible,
and have readjusted the guides many times.

Anyway, I have just about given up trying to resaw with a parallel fence.
No matter how many times I adjust the fence for drift the piece binds or
the blade bows in the cut. I can get it working fine once, but the next
time I use it the fence doesn't match the drift angle.

I have tried different blade tensions, from the mark on the saw indicator,
to looser, to much tighter. I haven't seen that it makes much difference.

I can resaw "relatively" straight by just drawing a line and following it
freehand. Are there any advantages to using a pivot fence instead of just
cutting freehand?

If you are taxing the saw/blade nothing is going to give you a good cut.