Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default woodburners tell all

On 5/5/2015 11:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 5, 2015 at 8:36:53 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2015 at 7:06:53 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 5/4/2015 5:40 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

was looking at some wood burning tools that are meant for that purpose
and no ohter

but they are expensive

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

if you use a real one what do you think of it

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just
make some finer pointed bits myself

I have a dandy one that I bought back in October of last year. Strictly
hardwood burning and not intended for burning either softwoods or the
manufactured woods like flooring, MDF, and or OSB. It is specifically
designed to work on the more common woos like oak, apple, walnut,
hickory, maple, cherry etc.

Are they expensive? That would be a personal choice as to what you
consider expensive. I bought a top of the line model and I could not be
happier, money well spent and no looking back at all. I found that you
could spend up to 4 or 5 times more for a great one over an entry level
model. I certainly did a lot of research before plunking down the mula.
Mine IIRC has a 5 or so year warranty and again IIRC 2 years on the
electronic parts. I wish it came in Festool Green. ;~)

The one I use is certainly real, it is a model made by Memphis, the Pro
model. It actually feeds the wood to the heating area.

I would not recommend using a soldering iron, they heat up much too
slowly and they really don't heat the wood up like you would need.

Here it is,
https://memphisgrills.com/shop/cart-models/memphis-pro/

You cheaped out!

I went with the Elite built in and installed it just like normal folk do.
Stop by if you're in the area.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psvjk05qs0.jpg

(I wish!)

We looked at the larger unit but really did not need anything that big. At
Thanksgiving we cooked a 22 pound bird and 10 pounds of brisket on it for
about 16 people. The bird was perfect.
And we found out that built in is not for us. We get a pretty good
southern and northern breeze at different times of the year, that makes
grilling with the open flame difficult. The cool wind blows and cools the
temp probe which in turn confuses the start cycle and often fools the grill
onto thinking that the fire is not hot enough. The simple solution is
turn the grill 180 degrees. After talking to the Memphis Tech rep about
this he offered that suggestion and to heat the unit to 450 with the closed
smoking insert and then swapping to the flavorizer insert and changing to
one of the OF settings.

I only posted a picture of half my patio. I also built a mirror image of the space. I don't have to turn the built in, I just move the food to the other unit if the wind shifts direction.

When I'm lazy, I simply buy twice as much food as I need, cook half on each and don't concern myself with the wind. You can solve just about any problem if you throw enough money at it. ;-)

I used to have an issue with my son not being around when I needed him, so I solved that issue in a similar manner.

http://media1.break.com/breakstudios...1/5/clones.jpg

LOL... There you go!