Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Resawing on the band saw

Doug,

I have the same saw with a 6" riser and the griz resaw fence.

Yep, that's the same setup I have.

I use the 1/2" woodslicer blade and have no issues resawing.

The woodslicer worked nicely for dry wood, but it wasn't working well with
green wood (logs) for me. The 3/8" green wood blade from Highland
Woodworking has been performing very well with fresh cut logs.

I cut a few logs from a holly tree and a plum tree last October. The plum
wood is dry nice and flat, but the holly is really cupping badly. I will be
lucky to get 1/2" finished boards out of the 1" thick rough cuts. I don't
know what I'll do with it anyway, it was mostly an experiment to try
something new.

I had to spend some time getting the tension set up

What tension do you use with your Woodslicer? I have mine set to roughly
the 3/4" mark on the indicator for the 3/8" blade and it still seems like
it flexes a lot. I didn't want to compress the spring completely.

I do make sure the blade tracks in the center of the tires.

I have had a lot of issues with that. I could get the blade to track in the
center of the top wheel, but it was almost ready to fall off the bottom
wheel. I've shimmed the lower wheel a couple of times but was afraid to
shim it out too far. I installed the polyurethane tires and added one more
shim yesterday and finally got it to track in the center of both wheels.
I'm not crazy about having the lower wheel shimmed out 3/8", but it seems
to work OK.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com