Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Resawing on the band saw

HerHusband wrote:
I have a Grizzly G0555 band saw. I bought the tall resaw fence and
have tried a few different blades including the 1/2" Woodslicer
blade. I'm currently using a 3/8" wet-wood blade for resawing logs.

I installed new polyurethane tires, got the saw as coplaner as
possible, and have readjusted the guides many times.

Anyway, I have just about given up trying to resaw with a parallel
fence. No matter how many times I adjust the fence for drift the
piece binds or the blade bows in the cut. I can get it working fine
once, but the next time I use it the fence doesn't match the drift
angle.

I agree with John about using a sled for the logs. You may be getting bow
because the "verticality" of what you are cutting varies.

I prefer a pivot for the little bit of resawing I do...the pivot is one
point, my left thumb is another. I have also used a short fence, worked
pretty well. By "short fence" I mean a fence only on the infeed side.

--

dadiOH