Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default Resawing on the band saw

"HerHusband" wrote in message

I have a Grizzly G0555 band saw. I bought the tall resaw fence and have

Anyway, I have just about given up trying to resaw with a parallel fence.
No matter how many times I adjust the fence for drift the piece binds or
the blade bows in the cut. I can get it working fine once, but the next
time I use it the fence doesn't match the drift angle.

It could be the saw but I'd try a couple things first....

One, for sawing small logs I found that a sled generally works better. I use
a piece of sacrificial plywood, screw the log to the plywood, and run the
plywood up against the saw's fence. I seem to have a knack for setting up
the blade such that blade drift is almost never an issue. However, with some
blades the teeth don't seem to be set correctly/evenly and in those cases I
do make allowances in setting up the fence for the drift.

For re-sawing boards, I made up what amounts to a post fence out of wood. A
plywood base with a T shaped board that serves as the fence. The bottom of
the T is rounded off a bit and the top of the T serves to keep the fence
vertical. The plywood base is clamped to the saw table in use and the board
to be re-sawn rides against the bottom of the T.

If the blade is bowing despite the tension setting that suggests that the
feed rate is too fast for the saw and blade. With some boards I've had to
feed at a painfully slow rate on my 18" Jet... This is where big, rigid saws
with big motors and wide blades having high beam strength and low tooth
counts shine... Towards that end I've got a slow going project to expand my
lumber shed and set up the 36" Crescent saw with a 5 HP Baldor motor that
I've had in storage... Then again, I know so many guys with bandsaw mills
that I may never finish the project!