Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default woodburners tell all

On 5/4/2015 6:06 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/4/2015 5:40 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

was looking at some wood burning tools that are meant for that purpose
and no ohter

but they are expensive

if you are a woo dburner what do you use and why

if you use a real one what do you think of it

i am thinking i might just repurpose an old soldering iron and just
make some finer pointed bits myself

I have a dandy one that I bought back in October of last year. Strictly
hardwood burning and not intended for burning either softwoods or the
manufactured woods like flooring, MDF, and or OSB. It is specifically
designed to work on the more common woos like oak, apple, walnut,
hickory, maple, cherry etc.

Are they expensive? That would be a personal choice as to what you
consider expensive. I bought a top of the line model and I could not be
happier, money well spent and no looking back at all. I found that you
could spend up to 4 or 5 times more for a great one over an entry level
model. I certainly did a lot of research before plunking down the mula.
Mine IIRC has a 5 or so year warranty and again IIRC 2 years on the
electronic parts. I wish it came in Festool Green. ;~)

The one I use is certainly real, it is a model made by Memphis, the Pro
model. It actually feeds the wood to the heating area.

I would not recommend using a soldering iron, they heat up much too
slowly and they really don't heat the wood up like you would need.

Here it is,
https://memphisgrills.com/shop/cart-models/memphis-pro/

So, it engraves your signature on all the steaks you cook?

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net