Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Latex Paint - Tacky/Sticky finish days after painting - Solutions?

On 5/1/2015 4:44 PM, Gene wrote:
replying to schooner, Gene wrote:
schooner wrote:

I painted a birch plywood desk work surface with latex CIL SMART3 WASH
& WEAR Kitchen & Bath paint http://www.cil.ca/en/brands_smart.html (at
the suggestion of the HD paint guy) as he said it would give a durable

washable
finish. The surface was first lightly sanded and primed with Kilz2 and

then
two coats of black latex.
The issue I am having is that the paint surface seems to remain

tacky/sticky
when items are placed on it then moved later. The surface is dry to
the touch but items do stick after a few minutes. From reading I
understand this may be an issue with latex paints and known as
blocking. It has only been 3 days since the final coat was put on so
perhaps it is just an issue of waiting longer for drying?
Is there anything I can do to get rid of or reduce this beyond
repainting? Will it go away after a week or so or will it remain for
the live of the paint? What about waxing or using talcum? Since the
is a semigloss black finish I wonder if talcum would cause a mess.
For wax what would be the bets to use?
Any other suggestions?

I painted over a bathroom cabinet w/ a formica finish after sanding the
formica and painting a primer coat to help with adhesion. I used Behr
Premium Plus Int/Ext Gloss Enamel. The color and finish look great, but
even after 6 weeks (getting close to 8 weeks) I have the same problem.
Stuff seems to stick a little before releasing. The paint is holding
well, but that tack is aggravating.

You really have to go with a top of the line premium latex paint if you
want it to not "stick" to items placed on or against it. Especially in a
humid environment.
Alternatively an Alkyd oil based paint would be a better choice, in a
good brand also.