Posted to rec.woodworking
Jerry Osage Jerry Osage is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:10:54 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/18/2015 2:35 PM, "Jerry Osage" wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 21:13:08 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Wait till Swing and/or Leon jump on this one.

There is Festool and everything else that wants to be Festool when
it grows up followed by Fein.

Lew

If I was a lot younger, and made my living by woodworking, I would be
very interested in Festool. One does not need the best tools to do
the best work. However, when time really is money, I always wanted
the very best tools I could afford because, in the long run, they
saved me both time and money

As an old hobbyist, who is tired of wearing a dust mask for the very
fine wood particles, I'm willing to spend $450 for Grizzly 1 micron
dust filter listed at 1700 CFM at 10" SP. It is a long way from
Festool, but a step up from HF. At least in my opinion, which is all
that counts.

Jerry O

Well actually the money you are willing to spend on a Griz DC is not too
much less than a Festool Dust Extractor.
HOWEVER the Festool Dust Extractor is not intended to be used with large
equipment for which most DC's are intended. The Festool dust extractor
is superior for hand held tools.

If I had neither I would get the DC first amusing I had large equipment.

I'm not familiar with what Festool had. I've been using a large
shop-vac - which works OK for a few minutes until it gets full. It
also allows the air to get "foggy" with small particles. I'm tired of
everything getting covered with a layer of wood flour.

The HF DC can be upgraded from 5 micron filter bag to a Wynn 0.5
micron cartridge filter. The Grizzly comes with a 1 micron cartridge
with a built in flapper. I may be sorry that I chose a Grizzly 1
micron over the HF upgraded to 0.5 micron, however, if that is the
case I can always put a Wynn 0.5 on the Grizzly.

Jerry O.