Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default first hand cut dovetail

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:31:04 -0600
graham wrote:

I took classes from a couple of Germans who insisted on pins first.
It was easy when working with pine or spruce and I still have the
first box made that way. I also have the one I tried in red oak as a
reminder!

i should try it if for nothing more than gaining some insight

I can assure you, it would have been.

fair warning

I think the reason the Brits probably did tails first was that much
of their carcase work was in oak. Furthermore, drawers with blind
dovetails would have necessitated tails first and when you get into a
habit.......

i am learning as i go here

i don't understand why tails first for a blind dovetail
i looked at an image just now of one and couldn't unravel that

i wasn't sure what a blind dovetail was so i looked it up
i will not do blind dovetails
i will not do blind dovetails
i will not do blind dovetails

i will probably try blind dovetails one day
god help me