Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 3:47:54 PM UTC-4, FrozenNorth wrote:
On 4/16/2015 3:04 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/16/15 12:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/16/2015 12:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I bought a 6 pack (bottles) of a particular beer I wanted to
try. Picked up the carrier, paid, took it home. At the dinner
table I took a look and the bottle is only 11.2 ounces.
Honestly, would you have thought to check? Beer has been in 12
ounce bottles since I was a kid and now it is 11.2. Sleazy, IMO.
No, I did not buy any more of it.

Check that label again. I'd bet you a dollar it was bottled in the
UK or Canada. Aren't you a fan of the metric system? Because
that's what's to blame for that. 11.2oz is 330ml, which rounds of
to 1/3 of a liter.

You owe me a buck. It is made about 40 miles from me. It may be a
metric bottle though. http://spencerbrewery.com/?success=ok

Looks like a good beer!
Instead of a buck, how about I buy you one of those if we ever meet up?

Once again, no one's trying to deceive you. I'm not aware of any
US breweries making the switch yet. But it wouldn't surprise me in
the least, since all of the "Big 3" US beer manufacturers are now
foreign owned companies.

I've not take the time to check, but in the past, imported beer was
in 12 ounce bottles sold in the US. Could have changed as I don't
buy that much beer, I do buy one from Canada and it is 12 ounces.

My point in all this is that the 11.2oz bottle isn't, nor has it ever
been, a technique used to deceive the consumer. It's simply the "metric
system" in action.

How do you explain those evil cola companies giving away an extra 3-1/2
ounces in every 1/2 gallon of soda!? :-p

Bottles of beer here in Canada have been 341 ml for a long time, if you
do the conversion that is 11.5 US Fluid ounces, or 12 UK Fluid ounces.
Go figure.

Yet the cans are 355 ml, or 12 US Fluid ounces

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/canadian

The question I have is: Why is 12 oz common for both cans and bottles in the US, yet cans and bottles in Canada are different sizes?