Posted to rec.woodworking
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default first hand cut dovetail

On 15/04/2015 12:31 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
thanks to Paul Sellers and whoever posted his link I did a dovetail by
hand

it didn't come out too bad
it's a little loose but I didn't use a vise so my sights were set low

I got a low priced saw that is 16 points and it was fine
I had some 3/8-inch oak at 2-1/2-inch wide

the hardest part was making it clear which pieces to remove and
which side of the lines to cut along

I drew a picture in my sketch book first to help clarify the joint

dovetails look nice but I think a box joint will be suitable for
many of the applications I am thinking about

I am undecided on which way the pins should point for say a
small knicknack box

I don't think there's a structural advantage but more of an
aesthetic

the pieces were just some scrap but I may actually make a small
box using this as a base

Did you cut the pins first or the tails?
Graham