Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Design comments requested

On 4/12/2015 10:30 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
Bill wrote:
By the way, the Jun/2015 issue of FWW has an interesting article on
"side hung drawers". The last step performed, to achieve "perfect"
reveals, was to plane the front of the drawer. It made me wonder
whether Swingman, and others, do that when they fit inset cabinet doors.

Bill

I did not read the article but what part do they plane, the edges or
the front?

Thank you for your reply! I realized after I posted, that instead
of the front, I should have written "the edges of the front". It
appears that's the same way you do it (nice work!). I see that hanging
an inset cabinet door is even more "troublesome" than I thought it might
be!

I sneaked up on the perfect "width" fit when cutting the length of the
fronts. I built the height of the drawers to be a tight fit and drum
sanded the tops and bottoms to fit the the reveal you see. Then I glued
the tiger maple veneer onto the drawer fronts.

Hanging inset doors are troublesome too. Typically they are much larger
than a drawer and large openings lend themselves to sometimes not be
perfectly square or there might be a slight bow to the cabinet face
frame stiles. In a small opening situation this is usually easier to
deal with. And If you use the typical hinge there is no adjustment.
I had to deal with that here, on the two upper doors on each cabinet.
The drawers are inset too but not nearly as problematic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4242237973/

These doors and drawers are inset too except on this job I used
concealed Euro hinges and that made adjustments for the doors much much
easier.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I try to design with overlay doors and drawers to simplify the build.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/15554060238/