Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Design comments requested

Leon wrote:
Bill wrote:
By the way, the Jun/2015 issue of FWW has an interesting article on
"side hung drawers". The last step performed, to achieve "perfect"
reveals, was to plane the front of the drawer. It made me wonder
whether Swingman, and others, do that when they fit inset cabinet doors.

Bill

I did not read the article but what part do they plane, the edges or
the front?

Thank you for your reply! I realized after I posted, that instead
of the front, I should have written "the edges of the front". It
appears that's the same way you do it (nice work!). I see that hanging
an inset cabinet door is even more "troublesome" than I thought it might be!

Bill

If your drawer slides inside the opening squarely, into a squarely
built cabinet at it should not need to be planed at all.

I do however plane the edges of inset doors to produce the perfect
reveal.

FWIW These drawers are side hung and while I did not plane at all I
did run the drawers through the drum sander to create equal spacing
between the tops and bottoms of the drawers. I built two of these
chests.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4335052930/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/4080828302/