Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Design comments requested

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 8:13:49 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote in
:

I'm still tweaking my design. I'm curious to know who prefers this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...3215/in/album-
72157639547178715/

and who prefers this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...0957/in/album-
72157639547178715/

Hmmm, not as easy to answer as I first thought.

The arches definately lighten the piece. OTOH, they tend to
make the legs look a little heavy and blocky. I don't think
you'd want to taper the legs because of the mortise-tenon
for the lower rails. Maybe a stopped chamfer would complement
the arch?

The non-arched version has something to say for itself in
it's simplicity - square legs, square rails, square top, kind
of a repeating theme (*).

You'd almost have to build both of them and see them "in
the flesh" to really know which is better.

Anyone have a 3D printer lying around?