Posted to rec.woodworking
Ian Malcolm[_2_] Ian Malcolm[_2_] is offline

Default Structural Beam Repair - Rotted Beam

Sonny wrote in
:

We have two large exterior exposed cypress beams/posts, that are part
of the structural wall and roof support of a breakfast nook area (back
patio area) that have developed rotted bottoms. I've been putting
off this repair because I'm not sure, exactly, what might be the
best/proper repair. Obviously, moisture has wicked up the posts for
some time, and the bottoms are rotten. Left and right side posts,
scroll left: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/16411478004/

We've started demolition of part of the back patio, for the
construction of a pergola, spanning this breakfast nook wall area.
I need to repair these posts, soon. I'm not sure how far/deep, into
the wall, the rot goes, but I suspect maybe half way through the cross
section of the post. I'll probe it, later. Before I probe (gouge
out, cut into) the post, I would like to know what possibly might be
best for the repair..... I wouldn't want to have removed something, if
it could be part & party to the repair.

It would be very difficult to remove and replace the beam, since they
are part of the support structure, but if need be, that will be done.
I'd prefer to repair at least the bottom, for now, unless sunsequent
discovery of very extensive damaged is found. There is no plinth
under these beams.

I had thought of epoxy, since I more recently learned some of the
virtues of epoxy use; I've thought of bondo; THought of
patch-replacing parts of the beam.

I've thought of the wood hardening products, for rotted wood, like
this one:
http://www.pcepoxy.com/our-products/...terminator.php
Home depot, Lowes and other outlets have similar wood hardening
products, but I don't know anything about these products and I'm not
sure which brand/product is the best for this kind of structural
support, weight bearing use.

I'd appreciate any and all input, for this repair.

We have other posts on an side porch, that are supported on plinths,
that have bottom rot, also. These posts can be easily replaced, but
I'd prefer, for now, to repair the bottoms. They are stained with a
paint-like stain, so bondo may be an option for repairing/filling
voids, if need be. The porch roofing is cantelevered, but the posts
do supply some support for the porch, because of heavy tiles (1500
lbs/square) on the roof. Any advice would be appreciated for this
repair, also. Scroll left for another pic.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...n/photostream/

Sonny

Lag bolt a stout block of wood to the posts in the wall so you have
something to jack against with two bottle jacks and a stout cross piece
to keet the jacks away from the work area. Cut away all rotten wood,
make a plinth at least 1" above grade and scarf in new wood with at least
an 8:1 joint using epoxy and lag bolts. Bed the foot on epoxy + glass
cloth, or mastic + roofing felt to seal it. If the original post was in
a hole, the new plinth needs locating pegs with corrisponding holes in
the post bottom which should be strong and non-corroding. e.g. stainless
or bronze allthread or thick GRP dowel. Assemble the scarf last so you
can fit the new piece over the pegs onto the bedding The same will work
for the other posts, but you dont need the jacking piece as you can jack
against the roof beam and I'd through bolt the scarf.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL