Posted to rec.woodworking
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Structural Beam Repair - Rotted Beam

Sonny,

No previous repairs. It's all one continuous post, salvaged hand hewn
beams. Those misalignments are the result of the hewn marks, when
squaring the beam.

Interesting. Pictures can be misleading...

I need to figure out how to seal the bottoms.

They sell brush on wood preservatives specifically for treating the ends
of cut wood:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded...en-Brown-Wood-
Preservative-CB-QTS/202688831

Ideally, you should use a metal base under the post to elevate it off the
ground (and secure it at the bottom):

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-S...AX-Galvanized-
Adjustable-Post-Base-ABA66Z/100375370

Barring that, anything you can use to separate the wood from concrete
below. Plastic seal sealer or even a couple layers of tar paper.

It'll be major reconstruction to replace the beams.

Just for clarification: "posts" are the vertical structural members that
hold up horizontal "beams".

You keep mentioning "beams" so I'm not sure if you are having other
issues beyond the wicking at the bottom of the posts?

About the only part not attached to the other framing menbers is just
inside the exterior walls... we packed the uneven cracks with backer
rods, rather than using caulk.

Unless you have wiring or something running through the posts, you can
probably just use a reciprocating saw with a long blade to cut the nails
between the wall and the posts. Then jack up the stucture above and slip
out the posts.

I'm not sure what the best way to reattach the walls to the post would be
during installation though. You would probably need to remove some of the
interior wall covering to drive in some long screws or something.

Good luck,

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com