Posted to rec.woodworking
sawdustmaker sawdustmaker is offline

Default Food safe sealer for raised beds

MJ wrote in
:

Just got some cedar raised beds for vegetable garden. The cedar is not
finished. I want to preserve the cedar and not have it go "silver", so
looking around for a food safe UV sealer.

Several options showed up when I did a Google search: mineral spirits,
shellac, etc. (a number of products).

I'm thinking of doing a shellac with a paraffin wax top on the inside
of the bed and then a UV stain on the the outside.

Anyone got some other options or thoughts on this?

MJ

You don't say how big they are. But regardless --- don't worry bout it
(said in my best Eastern accent). Cedar will age and any finish put on will
wear off -- you'll end up being a slave to it.