Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Food safe sealer for raised beds

On 4/1/2015 11:15 PM, MJ wrote:
Just got some cedar raised beds for vegetable garden. The cedar is not finished. I want to preserve the cedar and not have it go "silver", so looking around for a food safe UV sealer.

Several options showed up when I did a Google search: mineral spirits, shellac, etc. (a number of products).

I'm thinking of doing a shellac with a paraffin wax top on the inside of the bed and then a UV stain on the the outside.

Anyone got some other options or thoughts on this?

MJ

Food safe is not necessary.
But a food safe UV protectant is to go get some exterior grade latex
BASE. The base is clear, and contains the UV inhibitor. It will protect
the wood as well or better than other alternatives.

--
Jeff