Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default What would you use to seal this crack in a homemade manzanita walking stick?

Danny D. wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote, on Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:27:26 -0400:

Call me dense, but I don't get this. People use canes, crutches and
all sorts of things, everyday - that have rubber tips on them and
they don't wear out even after years of use. What's different about
this particular walking stick?

Good question. This walking stick is mostly used on the roadway, but,
I would think people who use canes use 'em on the roadway as well.

It gets maybe, oh, about three miles a day, which is only about 15
miles a week (roughly, given she only walks weekdays with her
friends), so it lasts roughly 50 to 75 miles.

How long do canes last typically? Do they go a month at 50 to 75
miles?

I don't walk that much but it has been YEARS since I changed my cane tip.
But a factor as important as distance is the surface upon which it is being
used...carpet/wood is one thing, a road is another.

I once spent six weeks mapping the geological structure of a mountain in
Montana, lots of walking on both solid and loose stone surfaces. I shredded
my first pair of heavy sole work shoes and the second pair was half way
shot.

A road is not the same as a mountain but it is also not the same as "round
the house".

--

dadiOH