Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default What would you use to seal this crack in a homemademanzanita walking stick?

Danny D. wrote:
What would you use to seal this crack in a manzanita walking stick?
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8736/1...0ee6cc2d_c.jpg

Would you just cover the crack with a wrap of leather string instead?

BTW, I tried Elmers white glue (with sawdust) which just shrank.

I tried Durham's Water Putty, but, putty is not a glue, and it just fell
out as the stick flexed over time (it's what my wife uses on hikes).

Note: The business end of the home-made manzanita walking stick worked
out much better than the hand-holding end.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8752/1...46f72bc2_c.jpg

For that tip, I bought a steel sleeve, & a rubber chair leg protector:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8689/1...97bb2f0e_c.jpg

The rubber doesn't last long; but the wife likes it (so I keep replacing
it). If there's a better idea than rubber chair leg protectors, let me
know.

I would use Epoxy with a half-drop of black dye mixed in. They make
crutch tips and walking cane tips. Take it to a drug store and see
which fits.

--
 GW Ross

 Friends come and go. Enemies are