Joe Fleming

Default Pricing

I would price differently. The market in your area will bear a price
regardless if the bowl took 1 hour or 10 hours. You need to determine the
market price. I do this by seeing what other turners in my area charge for
similar pieces. Once I figure out what a market price should be, I do the
calculations that everyone here is suggesting. For me, economical turning
is around $30 per hour plus materials. If the piece takes more time than I
can charge for a $30/hr return, I don't do it unless I am doing it for a
gift or for me.

For example, I love Dick Sing ornaments, but I can't sell them for the
prices he can charge. That type of ornament only goes for around $30 or a
bit more around here. It takes me longer than an hour to turn them. By the
time I add in a nice piece of burl wood, I can't do it and pay myself
$30/hr, therefore, I don't turn them. I have designed my own ornament that
I can do in about 20-30 minutes and charge $20-$25 each. I do these
instead.

Joe Fleming
San Diego

"BRuce" wrote in message
news
Your wife may be right. this past weekend we were on vacation and stopped
at a regional Folk Art center where there is a lot of "Art" and a little
folk. Some of the bowl work was amazing, as well as the price BUT after
looking at the sanding swirls and end grain tear out on these items I
began to rethink my quality control. I think, museum pieces are perfect,
Art for the mantel is "hand made", my wife says that if it is mirror
smooth then it looks machine made or template made. I'm not saying to
skip the sanding or to not try for that silky smooth surface but the
average customer may never realize it is not perfert to you.

the turner I took lessons from keeps track of the hours used on a bowl and
charge $20 an hour, including finisheing time. Since I can't turn that
fast I need to get about $5 an hour and that makes me happy for the
moment. As yor skill increase, so should your rate.

I am beginning, slowly to agree with my wife a little bit. Not have sold
anything other than cabinetry I am hesitant to sell my turnings. Maybe
this year I will sell a few earings and a bowl or 2. Locally there are no
Art shows, just lots of bent over granny's and unfinished pine
"furniture". :-)

BRuce

On 12 Jul 2004 21:13:29 -0700, Earl wrote:

Thanks. That's good advice and worth thinking about. The Christmas
show I was thinking of is very much of the craft, inexpensive,
Christmasy type of stuff. So it may not be the best place.

Problem is I don't think my stuff is very good, yet. I think I am a
pretty good in design and cenception but my woodturning skills are far
from perfected. But maybe by Christmas... My wife thinks I'm too
picky, that the small tears in end grain, not so well finsihed
bottoms, etc., will not be noticed. But I notice them.

I will get a small chance to test the waters this week. There is a
downtown "art walk" sponsered by our few art galleries, cafes, etc and
I was invited to put some of my pieces in it. It's just one evening
but at least I'll see if there is any interest.