Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Advice needed for sliding door project run amok

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 12:46:47 PM UTC-7, dadiOH wrote:

For a non-warping panel for your current needs, I would suggest Masonite
(hardboard). It is butt-ugly but can be painted nicely. Or covered with
wallpaper.

I tried the 'cover with wallpaper' trick, and kinda got it to work, BUT
(1) the stuff I got wasn't real wallpaper, it turns out to be some kind
of pre-pasted vinyl
(2) the hardboard had the screen-surface problem (but you can apply
shellac primer, then apply a hot iron to flatten it- don't use a fancy Teflon
surface iron for this).
(3) I ended up painting the hardboard and the (washed) vinyl stuff with
white glue, letting it dry, then applying the hot iron. Not too hot,
so the vinyl doesn't flow; not to cool, so the glue doesn't soften and fuse.

So, for the futu where oh where can I find REAL PAPER wallpaper?