Ron Williams

Default Pricing

Hi, Earl,

I do one festival a year. About 5 years ago, I was not turning much and my
spouse said, "if you do one show a year, you'll have to turn out a number of
pieces, and then get rid of them so you'll have room for more." Its been
good advice.
I do a 2-day show, Saturday and Sunday - just got back from this year's. A
couple of points to consider:

- If possible, choose a show that's more art than craft. If the booth next
door is selling plywood cutouts of the grandma bending over in the garden,
or little bandsawn (bandsawed?) toys that sell for $6.00, your bowls at $75
aren't going to look like a deal. Go to the show the year before, and look
at what people are carrying. If most folks aren't carrying high-end items,
it may not be te show for you.

- Timing is important. I tried one show in a good location with good
advertising in early October, and no one bought much. Most folks were
walking around looking. The same propmoter had a similar show in the same
place in early November, and the Christmas gifts were flying out the door.
If your market is Christmas items, try for the last week in October or the
first week in November (IMHO).

- Be patient. I've had customers buy a big piece, then tell me they looked
at my stuff for a couple years, but never bought. Your first shows may not
be great selleres, but the contacts may be very important.

- This year's sales were dampened by a big rain, but in a good year, I need
about 50 pieces to keep up with sales. I took about 35 last year, and was
almost sold out by noon on Sunday. And I will tell you that my spouse and
my friends tell me I'm a much better turner for having cranked out the 200+
that I've taken to shows.

Good luck!

Ron Williams
Minn-Dak Woodturners
Moorhead, MN

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
Thanks, Fred & Derek. I've been wondering the same thing. I will
probably sell some of mine at Christmas time at a local craft fair. I
wasn't planning on it but I'm getting too many of the darn things
piling up around the house. Can't find anybody to give more of them
to!
Earl