Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Lifetime Service adventure

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Here are the 6 estimates that I received for the fender damage that
occurred in the Home Depot parking lot. The vehicle involved is a
Honda Odyssey.

All collision shops were told the same 3 things:

- Damage occurred in a Home Depot parking lot
- Home Depot said to submit 2 estimates, they will pay the lower of
the two
- The Home Depot Claims Department did not request, and does not
have, pictures of the damage

$546 - Honda Dealer
$534 - Honda Dealer (See Note below)
$491 - Chevrolet Dealer
$485 - Local Collision Shop Chain (13 locations)
$479 - Independent Collision Shop
$456 - Independent Collision Shop

Note: The 2nd Honda dealer was the only collision shop to suggest the
"paint-less repair" process to fix the damage. When I reminded him
that it might be better for me if I was given an estimate for the
more expensive old-school repair he said "Ah, get your lunch money
first and then explore other options. No problem." He then provided
an R&I repair estimate similar to all the rest.

I've just faxed the 2 Honda dealer estimates to Home Depot.

'Bout what I expected to see. All of the estimates withing $100 or so of
each other. That's a reasonable spread. Mox Nix on the matter of paintless
dent repair versus conventional body work. They're both going to give you
the same result, a warranty, and you'll be satisfied as long as the place
doing the work is professional (ethical and reliable). For some small dents
I send people to the PDR guys just so we don't have to break the e-coat on
the body part. That's a big plus. That said, for the small stuff that PDR
can do well, conventional body work tries very hard not to get into the
e-coat and if that can be accomplished, there's no advantage to PDR.

--

-Mike-