George

Default Architectural turning? ( long )

Sounds like you've learned the difference between steak and sizzle.

Bonanza may put 16 oz on your plate for $12.95, but it's not the same as
chez James, where presentation makes it a dining experience.

"James E Gaydos" wrote in message
om...
Hi Owen, and all.
I have worked as an Architectural Woodturner for the
past 7 years. I am not selfemployed. I work for a high end cabinet
company in south central Pennsylvania. About 80 miles north west of
the Philadelphia area. I do make a good living at this.

When the company closed I went into a self-employment search. I sent
out letters of introduction, with photos of my work, ( hand turned of
course ), to over 200 cabinet shops, Architects, Historical
Preservation's and Societies, and placed ads in various newspapers
covering 5 counties in Pa,and a few major
cities in 3 states. Ha, what a joke on me.

What I found in my area were a lot of guys ( 6 ) using duplicating
lathes, and taking on contracts from big furniture companys. I thought
I might be able to fill a nitch, with some smaller shops, ect. What I
also found out was that it was of no real importance that I hand
turned, they could buy it cheaper from an automatic machine.