Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice needed for sliding door project run amok

Kinda like welding sheet stock to a base. Weld one side and the
standing sheet bends in the weld. Welding the other side won't fix it.

One tack welds back and forth on both sides - once tacked in then weld.

The idea is for wood also - coating one side might at first relax that
side but as the coating is dried it shrinks. Putting it on both sides
causes it to shrink in back to back motions that counteracts the forces.

Martin

On 3/14/2015 2:18 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
On 3/14/2015 2:43 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 14:18:37 -0400, Dick Snyder
wrote:

I am building a cabinet with sliding doors (due to space constraints).
It is 36" high, 74" long and made from cherry plywood. I got 1/4" cherry
for the sliding doors that are to run in a sliding door track I
purchased from Rockler.

The plywood I made the doors from was the wrong choice. It started
warping and it very difficult to fit in the sliding door track. The rest
of the project is complete but I need to find a better choice for the
sliding doors (something that is stable and straight). I finished the
doors the same as the cabinet(50/50 blend of Watco natural oil and poly
followed by two coats of poly after the watco blend had fully dried)
but clearly I need to changes horses. Do you have any suggestions for
me?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Did you finish both sides of the ply? If not, it WILL warp. Also, is
there a way to "frame" the plywood with something like a metal channel
(finished in oiled broze or something that doesn't stick out too much
from the cherry?)

I did not finish both sides but even before I finished it, the wood was
warping. I had (foolishly) hoped that the upper and lower track would
straighten things out. I just replied to another poster than I will call
Rockler on Monday to see what they have to say as well as my (excellent)
plywood supplier.