Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Advice needed for sliding door project run amok

On 3/14/2015 2:18 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I did not finish both sides but even before I finished it,

Always finish both sides of plywood panels.

While the fact that you didn't may not be the entire reason the 1/4" ply
warped so badly, it is most certainly a contributing factor not in you
favor.

What grade was the ply?

Lower grades of 1/4" plywood are notorious for turning into potato
chips, particularly if they are subjected to sunlight and wet conditions
on only one side (even on the ride home to the shop, but a plywood grade
like A-1 usually gives you a better chance.

There are some ways to solve the problem if you have enough clearance.

Might want to consider salvaging your investment by making 3/4" frame
and panel doors, with the top and bottom door rails having a 1/4" tongue
that fits in the groove.

You should be able to cut a tongue quickly and easily with a table saw,
and since it it won't be seen, it doesn't have to be pretty.

You could even make frame and panel doors 1/2" shorter in height, then
glue nail a 1/4" strip on the rails in the appropriate location as a tongue.

Be creative ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net