Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_6_] Dick Snyder[_6_] is offline

Default Advice needed for sliding door project run amok

On 3/14/2015 2:37 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote in
:

I am building a cabinet with sliding doors (due to space constraints).
It is 36" high, 74" long and made from cherry plywood. I got 1/4"
cherry for the sliding doors that are to run in a sliding door track I
purchased from Rockler.

The plywood I made the doors from was the wrong choice. It started
warping and it very difficult to fit in the sliding door track. The
rest of the project is complete but I need to find a better choice for
the sliding doors (something that is stable and straight). I finished
the doors the same as the cabinet(50/50 blend of Watco natural oil and
poly followed by two coats of poly after the watco blend had fully
dried) but clearly I need to changes horses. Do you have any
suggestions for me?

If I understand you correctly, you're running the 1/4 ply
directly in the track?

I don't think that will work - plywood is not rigid enough
for that sort of purpose. Usually when the door runs
directly in the track, it's tempered glass, which is very
rigid.

For a wooden door, I think you're going to have to build
a frame around the panel with 3/4 solid lumber, and use
sliding door guides, like these:

http://www.rockler.com/european-styl...-door-hardware

John

When I read the reviews of the track on the Rockler website, everyone
had used 1/4" plywood directly in the track. The picture on the Rockler
website showed bypass glass doors. I think I will call Rockler on Monday
to see what they have to say. I got my plywood from a very high turnover
dealer here in eastern Mass so I assume I just made a bad choice of
wood rather than buying crappy wood. I think I will call them too to see
what they have to say. I don't have enough room in the bypass to use
3/4" plywood. I am kind of stuck with my design.