Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Home Depot Lifetime Service adventure

wrote:
On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 6:32:09 AM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message

I called the national number to tell them what was going on. They told me
that they were tired of being blamed for the long wait times for warranty
resolution and they were more tired of people calling to yell at them for
store related issues. With their help they told me how and what to say
(their corporate buzz words) to the store manager to get the project off
center. It worked!

And those magic words were...?? Did they include "straight razor" and
"cojones"?

Hey... at least it worked, and I have my two favorite mini drills back!

I'm glad your problems were resolved. Is the store manager still intact?

LOL, gotta chuckle out of that. I was quite nice to him actually. I told him that I knew he was new manager to the store with only 6 months under his belt and that I knew he had a lot to deal with tending to so many "problem" employees.

I told him what went on at the store, and he was fairly concerned. I then told him that I knew that a man as busy as he was sorting out his store wide problems might not have a chance to tend to my small one. So to take the problem off his back, I offered to call the national contractor's line in GA and tell them about our conversation, then go over the customer service issues in the store and we could see how they thought best to handle my drill problem.

That way (I theorized out loud), if they wanted to write up his customer service staff for lack of performance he wouldn't get any blame himself for forced employee discipline other than the fact that all store activity was his responsibility. I offered the idea that it was possible that since he had only been there six months they might give him a pass on his inability to get his employees to do their job properly. As an added note, I added that after a bit of consideration I thought contacting the national desk was the thing to do as they might be able to give him some much needed managerial guidance on his employees if they had the signal that they were a bit out of control.

After some thoughtful remarks from him, he assured me that he could take care of it himself on a local level and there was NO REASON AT ALL to call the national contractor desk. I told him... no problem at all on my part as I could call them on the way to the next job. In a way, I told him I thought that having me call might actually be doing him a favor as it could help corral some of his bad employees without getting his hands dirty. No favors wanted, needed, or requested he adamantly told me.

It was all pretty pleasant, really. But he actually looked pretty upset when I left. But a few days later, I had batteries on my front porch at my house. So I guess we all stayed friends. ;^)

Robert

Nice job! I once wrote a letter to Delta about one of their "Authorized
Online Dealers", and how they weren't living up to the promises made for
such dealers, and I got results that were nothing short of "amazing"
too. I think the page has been deleted (seriously).