Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Home Depot Lifetime Service adventure

On Tuesday, March 10, 2015 at 12:07:12 AM UTC-5, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Since you have learned how long it takes to get a warranty
claim resolved, a suggestion.

Next time they have a sale buy a spare unit complete with
batteries and stash the whole thing behind a box of your
favorite stogies.

Well, if I put it by my favorite stogies, I certainly wouldn't misplace them! Sadly, they don't put the Ridgid brand name on sale unless they have a new model of a tool, or a they are introducing a new tool.

Their tools used to be a bit less expensive than the brands like DeWalt, Makita and Bosch, but no longer so. But those guys can't touch the Ridgid warranty, so at their price they make the Ridgid brand a good deal. I have a 4" pad sander, and two 5" ROS machines I can't kill. Those 5" sander have ground down several hundred feet of fascia to prepare them for painting. Put that 60 grit pad on then and you make short work of chipping paint.

That way, you're covered when a primary unit craps out and you
need to stay in production.

Whereas I bought my two drills with two batteries for $99 with a charger, they sell the drill kit with one battery and the charger (just one drill, I got a pair with two batteries) for $99.

SFWIW, that's what I did when I bought an 18VDC, H/F unit.

A spare battery was going to be about $13-$14 and a complete
unit was less than $17.

It was a no brainer.

I remember when you were talking about the HF drill here. Buying a second one made perfect sense. If the drill quits, you have another, and likewise with the battery. How do you like the HF drill? Get good service from it?

Robert