Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/4/2014 9:28 PM, wrote:
hey guys, i am looking to purchase a new table saw.......have a 10 year
old craftsman contractor saw and need to upgrade. i will have to put it
into my basement with limited space, so looking for decent contractor saw.
This Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Cont...tyle-Saw/G0732
is the saw i am leaning towards purchasing. are there any better options in
this price range? tia

To tell you the truth this saw strongly resembles the Craftsman TS that
I bought in 1983 and used for 16 years and had made a few modifications
for improved accuracy. That made it tolerable for precision work.

Unless your current saw is flat worn out, you might not be upgrading at all.

I would be very concerned with the tilt wheel and how it is attached to
the saw. The old Craftsman saws tilt wheel and shaft attached to the
body/trunnion and on the handle end to the side of the saw. The side of
the saw was simply sheet metal and if the side of the saw flexed it
caused the tilt shaft and trunnion to change bevel settings. Hense the
lock lever to help prevent movement after an adjustment on the
Craftsman. Looking at the parts illustration it appears that part# 81
is a stiffener to help minimize the tendency. That may or may not be
adequate for your purpose. Parts 58 and 59 are the locking bolt and
lever to further minimize movement.

The rip fence is basically the same style as the old Craftsman and
probably will be difficult to keep properly adjusted. It locks at the
back end and it is very common for the locking action to pull the fence
out of parallel with the blade when engaged. If it were me I would
look for a Beisemeyer style fence, these are rock solid and almost never
need adjustment after initial set up. They only lock down on the front bar.

Just considering Grizzly I would recommend upgrading to at least this
saw if for no other reason to get the better style rip fence. There are
several other reasons to list but the fence is probably never going to
need to be replaced if precision is what you are looking to achieve.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...-Series/G0715P