Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Run-Out On An Impact Driver?

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

I purchased a Rigid Drill-Impact driver kit from Home Depot the other
day. While I've never owned an impact driver before, I have used them,
but in just a "pick it up and use it" fashion.

The thing I noticed while inspecting the Rigid kit is that there is
some run-out in the impact driver. The bits do not spin exactly
in-line with the main axis, there is a bit (no pun intended) of a
wobble.

I didn't have any problem driving some screws when I tested it, and it
certainly drove them faster the the drill, but I don't know if the
impact feature of the driver means that I should expect some run-out.

I think some is reasonable for that type of tool. Both
the nature of the chuck and the intermittant nature of
the force applied to the bit would tend to make a wobble.
Putting the bit on the screw is probably enough to damp
out any extra motion.

Note that this is one reason why you don't want to drill
holes with an impact driver.

John

(who's curious now to look at his and see if it has any)