Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cutting thin tiny glass parts

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:10:47 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

May not be large enough but how about the quartz windows on old UV eraseable
EPROMs? Have to dig it out of the epoxy, but I'm sure lots of shops and
tinkerers have some stuck away in a junk drawer.

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
wrote in message ...

On 11 Jun 2015 03:11:05 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2015-06-10, Gray_Wolf wrote:
On Fri, 01 May 2015 08:33:36 -0700, wrote:

[Snip]

I wish they were quartz because of the toughness and UV transmission.
The filter I removed was a two piece affair. At first I wondered why

[ ... ]

Perhaps a source of quarts flats would from quartz crystals used in
electronic devices. e.g. RF oscillators, computer clock control and
such. I think CCD sensors are more sensitive to IR than UV. In any
case UV doesn't transmit well through regular glass lens.

If you want optical quality windows go to newport.com They sell
parallel surface windows made from all known optical materials.
There are many other scientific optics sources on the Internet.

Greetings Carl,
I didn't know the windows on EPROMs were quartz but it makes sense.
The ones I have though are too small. Fortunately the glass lenses in
my camera let through a pretty significant amount of near UV. Just
like window glass. Hence the internal two piece filter between the
lens and sensor in my camera. This near UV passing through normal
camera lenses is also the reason for the UV/Haze camera filters.
Eric