Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default More people step up and admit 3D printing is over-hyped

On Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:03:33 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

snip

I'm trying to accustom myself to progressive (no-line, varifocal)
eyeglasses I bought yesterday. They shift continuously from
nearsightness correction at the top to slight magnification at the
bottom, with the result that only a few lines of text on the screen
are clear, though the sharp focus distance varies from 12" at the
bottom to seeing the bright stars Arcturus and Spica nearly as points
instead of blobs at the top. Also I can't use the larger monitors on
the shelf above the laptops without tilting my head up uncomfortably
or leaning back too far to type. Last night I detailed the CAD drawing
of the wheel axle on the 15" laptop screen, easily, instead of on the
22" display above it that I use without glasses.

I wore progressives for six years. I couldn't stand them while using
the computer. Mine were supposed to be the best Variluxes made. ($880
including frames -- thank God I had multiple insurance policies! I
paid $20.) Still, the narrow focus field made driving a little scary,
and the up-and-down head motion took a while to get used to.

Over this past winter I had cataract operations on both eyes. At the
end, the doctor said "You don't need glasses anymore." And he was
right. Except for reading. He told me to get some drug-store
magnifiers, which I did.

I liked progressives for one thing: shopping at the supermarket. g I
saved mine just for that one use.

Good luck with them. Some people have no trouble adjusting. It took me
some time.

--
Ed Huntress

I lost my previous company-issue glasses at a volunteer construction
project a few weeks ago after taking them off to start a balky
generator. They were probably trampled into the dirt, run over by a
skid-steer, then buried under tons of sand. Providentially I kept an
older pair in the car.

-jsw