Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More people step up and admit 3D printing is over-hyped

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
So what part of what this guy wrote don't you understand?

"The trouble I feel with 3D Printing is that it is giving people false
hope in getting things to market faster. Designers think that if they
can print it, you can manufacture it conventionally. I agree that it
is useful to see what a component actually looks like in the real
world, and to get a physical feel, but it doesn't mean you can
actually manufacture it in volume. Undercuts get overlooked, split
lines get missed, inaccessible features are modelled in, inconsistent
wall thicknesses, the list goes on. I see this far too often, and I'm
afraid to say that it is taking longer, and putting more owness on the
manufacturer to explain the problems, and the designers that 3D
printing is creating is causing a lot of headaches. I see it all too
often. It's causing problems that would never of normally been
overlooked and be designed out."

That was a big problem back when the revolutionary new "pencil"
allowed any fool to become a draftsman.

http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/807...Assembly-Chart