Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 16:59:34 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

My buddy Glenn showed me that you could remove the soldering tip from
a Weller 150W gun and induction-heat the terminal to solder the wire
in. It worked extremely well for the 4ga armored wire he gave me to
use with the towing-receiver-mounted winch. http://tinyurl.com/nejufw9

If you just used the two posts with no tip, you were doing resistance
soldering. Inductance heating requires a loop to couple the power into
the load. Like Diathermy machines.

I bow to your deeper knowledge, MikeySan. I thought the magnetic
field was doing the work, but see that it was the connection of the
two posts which completed the circuit for resistance soldering. In
any case, it sure as hell beat the time of the soldering tip! 'Twas
quick and very efficient.

--
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
it takes away today's peace. --Lifehack