Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch David R. Birch is offline

Default NICE containers!

On 6/9/2015 8:02 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 20:44:31 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Jun 2015 17:11:43 -0700, Gunner Asch

wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 09:10:17 +1000, John G wrote:

Larry Jaques has brought this to us :
This has to be the nicest conversion I've ever seen of shipping
containers. I might have hidden the electrical conduits better,
but
it's a sweet little house, oui?

http://containers.wimp.com/shipping-containers/

2 people died last weekend in the mountains above Sydney Aus when
they
took a charcoal fire into their nicely converted shipping container
and
closed the door for the night.

Darwin event. Happens in the cities in the wintertime here in the
States as well. But it never kills off all of them unfortunately.

Gunner

Not so much. A lot of them are campers and hunters:

"During the past seven years, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission has learned of 83 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning
occurring as a result of people burning charcoal briquettes in an
enclosed area.

"Some of the victims were campers who burned the charcoal to keep
warm
inside a tent or camper. Others were hunters who burned the charcoal
inside their trucks, cars, or vans."

From a NIH source, including charcoal burning as well as other CO
sources:

"CO deaths were highest during colder months, likely because of
increased use of gas-powered furnaces and use of alternative heating
and power sources used during power outages, such as portable
generators, charcoal briquettes, and propane stoves or grills (1).
Similar to previous findings (2), the highest CO death rates tended
be among western (e.g., Alaska, Montana, and Wyoming) and midwestern
(e.g., Nebraska and North Dakota) states, likely because of
variations
in weather and geography and state-by-state variations in prevalence
of certain risk behaviors. "

--
Ed Huntress

I check my CO detector several times a winter by hanging it over the
ash bucket. Even outdoors in a breeze the reading will quickly jump to
several hundred parts per million.

Yeah, they're very sensitive. I have one next to my gas furnace, and I
can make it scream just by slightly adjusting the flame toward yellow.
It's a handy way to get the air/gas ratio right.

I use a Lil Buddy heater in my deer hunting trailer. Propane tank
outside, hose come in though the nonfunctional furnace. CO detector next
to the heater.

David