Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default What Happened at US Digital

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 13:23:58 -0700 (PDT), Dan
wrote:

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:09:45 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 12:55:52 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I wonder what kind of trouble US Digital got themselves into. Today I
received a letter from them saying I needed to sign it agreeing to obey
the
law in several different ways, or they wouldn't sell to me anymore. My
first thought is somehow they get themselves in trouble, and they are
sending out these letters as a legal ploy to try claim it was somebody
else.

I have three US Digital encoders on my Hurco KMB1.

I found the implication and tone of the letter to be vulgar and insulting.
Basically it said over and over again, "You agree to obey the law."
(Paraphrasing)

I wonder if this is the same letter they sent out to some customers 5
years ago. It was about not selling to embargoed countries. Is that
what yours is about?

Yep.

Likely are getting pressure from the government. ITAR is a snake in the grass waiting to ruin your day.

Export buyers of similar stuff get notices like this:

"We further certify that the goods will not be used for any purpose
connected with chemical, biological or nuclear weapons, or missiles
capable of delivering such weapons; that they will not be re-exported
or otherwise re-sold or transferred if it is known or suspected that
they are intended or likely to be used for such purposes; and that the
goods, or any replica of them, will not be used in any nuclear
explosive activity or unsafeguarded nuclear fuel cycle activity."

I'm sure they caught lots of bad guys with this kind of thing-- they
would **never** fill out a form inaccurately.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany