Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin[_3_] John Larkin[_3_] is offline

Default Update: Varistor/MOV Spice Modeling

On Tue, 12 May 2015 13:03:16 GMT, Ralph Barone
wrote:

"Tim Williams" wrote:
"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message
Seems pretty pointless at your age, Jim. Are you ever going to pass on
all those pearls of wisdom, or are you going to take them to the grave
like King Tut?

On a related note then, if anyone has something they'd like to model, I
could take a crack at it.

I suspect Jim isn't doing anything I don't know, and if he sees some
examples, maybe he'd even admit what it is, too ;-)

Tim

Perhaps not the right place in the thread to say this, but what problems
would come up if you modelled a varistor as a behavioural current source
with I = k* V^alpha in series with a bulk resistance? I've had pretty good
luck with that model (just not in SPICE).

The LT Spice "g" componant is a voltage dependant current source. The
relationship could be your equation, or a polynomial, or anything.
That would be *one* line of text. Add capacitance or ESL as needed.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing precision measurement

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com